Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Some firsts for Charlie and random other things...

Charlie is 7 weeks old today and it feels like time is flying by.  It won't be long until I will be doing his 2 month post but before then, there have been several firsts over the last couple of weeks that are worth blogging.  Plus, the grandparents need to see some pictures!  :-)

Charlie had his first 'real' smile.  We aren't exactly sure when the first 'real' smile happened as we were getting many involuntary smiles for some time.  But there is no mistaken that Charlie is smiling at his mommy and daddy pretty regularly and it is probably one of the sweetest things that I have ever experienced to have my baby smile at me from ear to ear.  For the purposes of his baby book, I'm going to say his first voluntary smile was June 23rd.

Here is Charlie smiling at his Daddy after Matt got home from work:

Not only has Charlie perfected his smile but he has also perfected the cutest pouty face that I have ever seen.  (I have tried to get a picture but haven't succeeded but will keep trying.)  He knows how to stick that bottom lip out.  He typically doesn't scream or even fuss when he pouts but he definitely pouts when I'm taking too long to get my clothes adjusted to feed him.  This boy likes to eat! 

Normally, Charlie and I have lunch with Wyatt and Ali on Fridays but our schedules are not going to work out for the next few weeks so Charlie and I had lunch at home this past Friday.  Charlie and I did manage to make it out to Macy's to do a quick errand.  I had something that I needed to exchange for a bigger size for Charlie.  I was pretty tired on Friday afternoon, but decided that Charlie and I could both benefit from getting out of the house.  I regretted going though.  I forgot to put on deodorant which was worth going back in for then I realized I forgot Charlie's pacifier which meant I had to go back.  So, after 2 trips of trying to make it out, the latch on the back gate came off.  It was super hot (thank goodness I went back for the deodorant because I had worked up a good sweat at this point).  While standing in line for the sales associate, a little girl was looking a Charlie.  She told me he was a cute baby and I thanked her.  She then says, "Is he your grandchild?"  Oh my!  I couldn't believe it.  So, I came straight home and dyed my roots (just kidding). 

Charlie is now sleeping in his cribs for naps and bedtime.Charlie slept in his crib for the first time on Friday night for bedtime and it was an adjustment for him.  (He did a few naps in his crib last week.)  He did wake up a few more times than normal.  Matt helped me by taking on the non-feeding times to tend to Charlie.  We made it work but were both pretty tired on Saturday morning, but Charlie and I decided we would let Daddy and his brother sleep in.  Future nights have been much more successful...more on that to come!

Charlie is now switching to 3-6 month clothes.  According to the scales, my big boy is weighing 14 pounds.  This weekend, I washed Charlie's 3-6 month clothes and put him in an outfit which fit perfectly.  I can't believe how big he is getting. 

Saturday night, Matt's sister, Courtney, came over a babysat and Matt and I enjoyed a date.  The last date we had was a few weeks ago for the wedding in Roanoke.  We had such a nice dinner out without our lovely baby.  I love Charlie but I also enjoy getting some quality time with Matt.  It was really nice!  Thanks Courtney!!!

Charlie slept great on Saturday night so Matt and I decided we should try to take him to church.  We had planned this for last weekend but Charlie had a bad night and we just couldn't get it together.  Matt and I have some fond memories of our youth programs at our churches.  We are fortunate to have both established life-long friends that we met at church.  We hope that one day, Charlie will say the same.  Anyways, this past Sunday didn't go so well.  Charlie was asleep when we got there but woke up during the first song. (Our church is contemporary and has drums and base which may have been a little much for him.)  Anyways, he fussed the rest of the way through it.  We actually ended up having to leave a little early.  I think that Charlie may have to go to the nursery until he gets a little older. 

So, I had the cutest little outfit on Charlie and wanted to get a picture for his baby book but it didn't work out.  I fed him right before we left which left no time for pictures other than the one above so the plan was to get one afterwards.  However, Charlie had a blow out which was probably one of the worst we have seen.  It was definitely a 2 man job to get him cleaned up.





Charlie got an activity mat that belonged to his friends, Parker and Brooklyn.  He is really enjoying his time playing on it.  He is starting to learn what his arms are all about.  I'm continuing to work with him on grabbing things but I definitely am seeing some progress.


We are also working on holding that head up.  He is pretty strong and is practicing great control which means he can face outwards in the Baby Bjorn and also use his Bumbo.  I'm not sure he loves the Baby Bjorn partly because it is such a production to get the thing on (esp. when I'm home by myself).  Anyways, he is getting used to it.  He didn't seem too overly impressed with the Bumbo either.  I think he's a little young to care if he is sitting up.

Charlie is still enjoying watching his mobile and the fans.  I catch him staring up at the ceiling all the time.
Despite my lack of blogging, as you can see we have been very busy and have a lot planned in the next few days.

I love these 3 boys!

1 comment: